A SUGGESTION TO REVISE THE PSYCHODRAMA CERTIFICATION PROCESS

Mary K Hudgins drkatetsi at me.com
Sun Jan 4 15:20:50 UTC 2015

My main concern about the certification is that it takes forever and I don’t really find that so many hours actually approves people’s directing skills.  I think we loose a lot of people along the way.

My own TSI International Certification in Trauma Therapy follows the structure of the American Board of training hours, directing practicums and supervision but requires only 400 hours and I find that my students all learn the basic psychodrama skills plus the specialized attention needed for vulnerable protagonists through our clinically oriented courses during that time.  Following the original Moreno model of certification I also give 3 levels of certification so there is reward along the way for Trained Auxiliary Ego, Assistant Leader and Director/Team Leader, followed by the chance to become a Trainer in the Therapeutic Spiral Model.  For an exam they have to do on sites at each level and be passed by more than one trainer for the last 2 certifications.  It becomes obvious if they know the theory during our processing sessions and supervision.

I have also served as a full Primary Trainer for many people over the 25 years I have been a TEP and most of my students not only pass but pass with distinction.  Right now I am providing Skype supervision for 3 students from Taiwan that are planning to take the exam this year and they are very dedicated to the process even with all the extra costs and efforts they have to make working in a different country.

Having been a board examiner for 9 years a decade or more ago, I never found reading the exams a chore and instead found it interesting and also a chance to be with other board members in a fun yet purposeful manner.  I do an exam prep course that uses all the old exams where I have students take a mock exam and then grade it as though I was still on the board and help them correct whatever is missing and find this a simple task as well for both myself as trainer and for students, particularly those with test anxiety.

Those are my thoughts.

Kate

Kate Hudgins, Ph.D., TEP
Therapeutic Spiral International
www.drkatehudgins.com

On Jan 4, 2015, at 12:48 AM, Dave Moran via Research <research at asgpplistserv.org> wrote:

> My opinion is that there should be a 2 or 3 year certificate for sociodrama or sociometry
>

> Thanks
> Dave
>
> On Jan 3, 2015, at 1:37 PM, Edward Schreiber <edwschreiber at icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> At least the dust is being washed off, the discussion enter's the public arena again!
>> Some years ago someone, I believe Mario, was taking this on - not sure what came of it.
>>
>> I suggested at the time and again here, that we take a close look at the way certifications are done
>> in other countries.  I know that in some of the European psychodrama centers, that sociodrama
>> directing is its own certification.  Looking at how those others have advanced and developed the
>> certification conserve is a good place to consider.
>>
>> Happy New Year.
>>
>> Ed
>>

>> On Jan 3, 2015, at 1:29 PM, National Psychodrama Training Center wrote:
>>

>>> On Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:35 AM, John Nolte <jhn.nolte at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 2. Confirmation of trainee's calendar of training with this and other trainers;
>>> 3. Endorsement of the trainee, indicating that the trainer is willing to stake his or her reputation as a trainer on the trainee's competence as a psychodrama director and his or her ethical behavior.