[IAGP:PDDISCUSS] New Members to our list

Adam Blatner adam at blatner.com
Sat Apr 1 17:37:40 PDT 2017

I am increasingly impressed with how "action explorations"---i.e.,
psycho-sociodrama applied in non- clinical settings---may have significant
power, perhaps becoming more influential than psychodrama as psy-chiatric
treatment. ​Although I am a psychiatrist, I'm turning toward non-clinical
applications, which are much wider than uses for treating mental illnesses.

There is some confusion of purposes here, because Freud himself addressed
cultural narrow-mindedness as well as mental illness. Indeed,
psychoanalysis really was considered contra-indicated for people with poor
ego strength. This was around three-quarters of a century ago.

Moreno came in with psychodrama shortly following the popularity of Freud,
and never caught up. But both were unafraid of applying their thinking to
cultural events, to non-clinical problems.

I want to turn away from psychiatry---even though I am a psychiatrist, a
physician (iatros) fully trained in matters of the mind--- and re-emphasize
the applications of psychodrama (what I call action explorations) beyond
the medical model.
    Indeed, I see this application as becoming dominant, especially as the
field of medicine in the USA becomes more evidence-based---which is good in
some ways, but also too bad about dynamics that can't be well
controlled---such as mild-moderate psychiatric symptoms. At any rate,
psychiatry is becoming dominated by biological-pharmacology while the
broader psycho-cultural elements are neglected.
      Warmly, Adam