terminology

Stanley Smith stansmith1 at mac.com
Sun Feb 19 06:06:49 PST 2017

Regarding what to call what we do as Psychodramatists, let's begin with some individual and social realities as seen from our professional perspective:
    Simultaneity: each of us lives always in multiple roles, as protagonist in our own life drama, and as auxiliaries in the lives of everyone else we come in contact with.
         That includes not only family, friends, and co-workers, but also the cashier at the grocery. If the cashier and I get into smiling or snarling at each other, that encounter has an effect on each of us, and either confirms, or challenges the scrip we are trying to live out.
           As we try to morph our individual roles Into the sociometric role demands of our function in society we struggle with the moment by moment fit and non-fit of our protagonist roles and the way they can be used and misused in the social roles.
       Yes, there is overlap in the field of " growing-up" professionals who work in varied ways to help us be better protagonists. From Freudian analysts to Jungian psychiatrists trying to help us understand the influences of our collective unconscious; from Drama therapists to Dance therapists; from a psychotic lost on the back wards, to a couple trying to understand themselves, to a therapist trying to do a better job we are all, always, simultaneously the protagonist and the auxiliary.
         If we want our particular profession to have a name that reflects that understanding of what is central to our theoretical "picture" of the individual and the group, we need to stay focused on that picture.
     My understanding of the name "Psychodrama" is that it is focused on the dramatic physical manifestation of our otherwise invisible psychological processes.
         If there were a celestial audience watching, they would see that drama play itself out on this stage we walk on, whenever we buy a cup of coffee at a Starbucks, or join a protest march, or read a bedtime story to a child.

Stan (from my I pad)
We are verbs dressed as nouns
         Kquickstart.com
         todaysdrama.com