AANZPA Journal 2016

Adam Blatner adam at blatner.com
Sun Jan 29 14:15:55 PST 2017

Hello, Philip,
    I am moving to California to be helped in our age-ing by my daughter.
Your energy and great letter remind me that psychodrama is alive and well
"down under." This is good.
    I hope you make more contacts with Nien-Hwa in Taiwan and others closer
to you. They have recently purchased much of my library (which included
David Kipper's and Donnel Miller's).
    I'm hoping to promote more cross-exchange with drama therapy and other
expressive and creative arts therapies. My main experience in medicine
involves "evidence-based therapies" which rest not on the ego strength of
the patient so much as on the diagnosis. Apparently only three therapies
fulfill those requirements---cognitive therapy (and perhaps
cognitive-behavior therapy); for those who are "sicker," Marsha Linehan's
variation of behavior therapy---I forgot the full name; and for those with
addictions, a motivation type that's an offshoot from Rogers'
psychotherapy. None of these draws on the creative impulse that evokes
imagination and expansion. Anyway, I'm sobered by this development.
     You're doing good work. Sincerely, Adam Blatner (keep the email
address but soon with a new postal address in California.