those who use psychodramatic methods and include non-psychiatric contexts

Adam Blatner adam at blatner.com
Mon Apr 2 19:19:11 PDT 2018

I have grown increasingly aware of the number of psychodramatists who work
in more than with those in the "sick role" (i.e., as patients, or with
people with "psychiatric diseases") context. I’m looking for people who use
psychodrama in helping people NOT in the sick role! Would they please write
up and send me some of their experiences? Or send me their names and I’ll
communicate with them directly.

For example, working with people in transition. Perhaps, and they’ll use
resources available to them ---- such as refugees. That is to say, many
people in both psychodrama and drama therapy address both sick-role and
non-sick-role people. That is to say, drama therapists (and
psychodramatists)  work with people both in and beyond the patient role.
Drama therapy for these people—and psychodrama---isn't really "therapy" so
much as "liberation," or some other better word.

This dual role, therapy and non-therapeutic “helping,” is in many contexts
a critical difference. It points out that the methods that I call “enhanced
simulations” work for non-“sick” adults! It also implies that the two field
are not strictly “therapeutic,” but also to contexts quite beyond any
medical applications. Warmly, Adam Blatner.