Moral discourse

Walter Logeman walter at psybernet.co.nz
Mon Aug 6 12:46:44 UTC 2018

Hi Phil, Bud, all

Phil, what a wonderful exposition and meditation on spontaneity.

Bud, I think you meant to say you liked Phil's response to my opening...
or was it my brief response to the podcast I linked to?

I found your opening paragraph a bit dense, but I think we are tuning into
the same stuff. I enjoy pondering your words... "the Who that may survive
is a network of social atoms".  I can usefully see that you think "the
notion of an entity called "an individual"  having a reality " is false and
even evil.

Let me reflect and play with these ideas...

I go around saying the individual does not exist & stuff like that but
people object a lot...  And they quote Ken Wilber's quadrant model... I
think he is so unhelpful feeding the idea that there is an individual and
something called "inner"
http://wellbeingmd.blogspot.com/2010/05/ken-wilbers-four-quadrants.html

The social atom is the smalest unit...  Yet we work with a protagonist, and
"their world". as if they were an entity that exists??

But then there is no protagonist without a group.  We live out our
reactions to reactions...  But then spontaneity comes in, that pinch god
drops in so we can put some vitality into the machine... I'm trying to
quote Moreno, here is the quote:

"1911, GENESIS OF SPONTANEITY
‘When God created the world He started off by making every being a machine.
He made one machine push the other and the whole universe ran like a
machine. That seemed to be comfortable, safe and smooth. But then He
thought it over. He smiled and put just an ounce of spontaneity into each
of the machines and this has made for endless trouble ever since—and for
endless enjoyment."

Somehow we can't get away from "beings". I guess its the perspective of
them "existing" independently of the sociometric matrix and social and
cultural atoms that is such a trap.

Even when I do psychodramatic work with "individuals" we quickly concretise
their "world"... I avoid all the time calling it the "inner" world.

Yet I put the word "world" in quotes...  I think for the same reason mtn
calls it the theatre of "truth".  We are scientists of a different order.

Putting an "inner" world on the stage - which is how I hear
some psychodramatists talk - is more Jungian and Freudian.  Those words
belong to paradigm Moreno fought so hard to shift. The world on the stage
is the product of the group, the warm up the auxiliaries the audience - it
is relational.  Sociometric.

More on this in "Who Shall Survive?” - a challenging passage, is Moreno
going all "inner"?
"Perhaps in an approach of the social universe we can learn from Democritos
and close our eyes to the actual configurations social "matter" presents to
us families, factories, schools, nations, etc. Perhaps a mind not
distracted by the gross facts in society will be able to discover the
smallest living social unit, itself not further divisible, the social
atom.”

291 "Who Shall Survive?”

~~~

Apparently the link to the podast I mentioned did not work for everyone...
try this one:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/
audio/2018652608/simon-keller-philosopher-assesses-claims-
about-mental-health

Warm wishes

Walter