Research List

Adam Blatner adam at blatner.com
Sun Feb 25 09:42:29 PST 2018

These efforts to offer research on psychotherapy are worthy, but there is
an additional and rather fundamental problem: People range from low to high
ego strength, and this variable---more than the severity of their
"diagnosis"---that determines prognosis---i.e., the degree of response to a
therapeutic intervention or healing. People with a generous number of
compensatory skills will do much better with whatever type of therapy.
Alas, researchers do not ask such questions, because it messes up the
"cleanliness" of research. (Why people tend to believe that research should
be clean expresses the simplicity of the human mind!)
      Ego strength in turn is a huge category. Another category is family
support, or support of friends, the tightness of the community from which
the "identified" patient comes. That word "identified" refers to the one
with the symptom, because others in the family may be pathogenic and
sub-clinically pathological, but not the "patient."
      Et cetera. Dare I suggest that psychotherapy outcome research
reflects the spirit of a question that can be asked---"Does such and such a
procedure work?"  applies simplistic criteria to highly complex problems.
These are all too readily brushed aside with rationalizations, the main one
being "It's better than not even asking the question" (which is debatable).
     Warmly, Adam Blatner
  Warmly, Adam