connection between surrender and spontaneity

Walter Logeman walter at psybernet.co.nz
Sun Nov 18 19:58:34 PST 2018

Hi Phil,
I think Moreno used the word surrender in 'Theatre of Spontaneity' to
say we should suspend disbelief as we watch a drama. Surrender to the
illusion.

However this is not so helpful in your context.  When you say "the
unknown, the emerging, the life force, love, mystery, intrigue,
innocence..." I think of the psychodrama concept of 'creativity'.
Moreno saw it as some sort of primary reality, out there, not part of
our libido etc.

"The universe is infinite creativity . The visible definition of
creativity is the "child." ("Who Shall Survive?" p39).  Looking at it
that way the life force is immediately linked to spontaneity.  We
can't get to creativity without spontaneity, and we need to a warm up
to get to spontaneity.

It may relate to surrender in that cultural conserves get in the way
of spontaneity.  We say warm *up*, but sometimes the warm up is to let
go. A 'deconserving'  needed (see quote below), a warm up to "a
willing, voluntary giving up, giving into, letting go, abandonment."

What do you think?

Walter

"These conserves determine our forms of creative expression. They may
operate at one time as a disciplining force-at another time, as a
hindrance. It is possible to reconstruct the situation of creativity
at a time prior to the conserves which dominate our culture. The
pre-conserve man,* the man of the first universe, had no musical
notations with which he could project the musical experiences of his
mind, no alphabetic notations with which he could project his words
and thoughts into writing. He had no mathematical notations which
became the basic language of science. Before he had selected from the
inarticulate mass of sounds and vowels which developed into our
languages he must have had a relation to the process of creativity
different from modern man, if not in the source itself, certainly in
projection and expression. When we removed, by a process of
deconserving, one conserve after another from an actor, and nothing
remained but his naked personality, the pre-conserve man came closer
to our understanding. "  "Who Shall Survive?" p40